'The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because He loves what is behind him.' -G. K. Chesterton

17 February 2013

Sunday Kipling

Things continue apace. We must live life or watch it slip away, unused and lamented. A soul full of "If Only's". A world of fear and anxiety and dreams left untried. No, I reject that notion utterly. I choose life. Death is only a path.

It's been 4 weeks today since the accident. Angus sees the surgeon tomorrow afternoon. I'll post an update as soon as we get home. He's getting back to his old self. His energy, his interest and curiosity, his happy silliness. We anticipate a good visit.

DO and AFSIL (AirForceSonInLaw) are coping. The grandkids too it seems. Everyone reacts to grief in their own way. As seems best to them. We can only watch, comfort and offer an arm in support. We're here for you if you need us.

It's sunny and warm outside. The day is absolutely gorgeous. Lu, Angus and I will go out and do something fun. Something to remind us we're alive and life is good. I highly recommend it.

Dedicated today to Richard. And to my daughter and son in law because they understand.

The Glories

1925
IN FAITHS and Food and Books and Friends 
   Give every soul her choice.
For such as follow divers ends 
   In divers lights rejoice. 

There is a glory of the Sun 
   ('Pity it passeth soon!)
But those whose work is nearer done 
   Look, rather, towards the Moon. 

There is a glory of the Moon 
   When the hot hours have run;
But such as have not touched their noon 
   Give worship to the Sun.

There is a glory of the Stars, 
   Perfect on stilly ways;
But such as follow present wars 
   Pursue the Comet's blaze. 

There is a glory in all things; 
   But each must find his own, 
Sufficient for his reckonings, 
   Which is to him alone.

4 comments:

OldAFSarge said...

Just saw the post on AFSIL losing his Dad. I surely can feel his pain, lost my Dad 3 years ago this month. The pain never leaves you, you just learn to deal with it.

Life goes on and I truly believe we'll all be together again. All my best to you all.

RabidAlien said...

+1 what OldAFSarge said. Lost my dad to the Big C on Memorial Day weekend in '09, a fitting time for a 22 year AF vet to leave, although I would have preferred many more years. Remember the good times, and celebrate the man for the legacy he's left behind. We're prayin for you and yours.

Six said...

Thanks guys. I appreciate the kind words and I know my daughter and son in law do as well.

Old NFO said...

It's never easy, regardless of the age... And the last stanza says it all...
There is a glory in all things;
But each must find his own,
Sufficient for his reckonings,
Which is to him alone.