'The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because He loves what is behind him.' -G. K. Chesterton

28 February 2013

Remodel Update - Starting Drywall

We finally finished installing the last window. It replaced what used to be another door onto the front porch.

After I took this photo we put up the foam insulation board. Eventually I'll stucco this section since sometime in the future all the siding will come down to be replaced with stucco. I hate doing stucco.

Speaking of hate. I also hate doing drywall but I'm also too cheap to hire it out. It's a balancing act. My distaste for finish work versus my innate unwillingness to pry open my wallet for anything I know I can do myself. We've only been at it for half a day and have one and a half walls covered. A professional could probably do both rooms in a day or two. I figure it'll take me and Lu about a week.

Still, it did give me an excuse to buy a new tool. I love tools.

More later this week. If we get the drywall done.

Six

4 comments:

Paladin said...

It's funny how most DIYers have one chore that they hate above all others. Plumbing is mine. Roofing is a close 2nd but that's mainly because of having to haul bundles of shingles up a ladder.

Like you, though, I grit my teeth and do them rather than pay someone else :)

RabidAlien said...

Ditto. I have grown to dislike cutting/laying ceramic tile. Sheetrock is a very close second, but only due to the fact that, to date, my only sheetrock woes have been related to the ceiling in our garage (similar to the attic space in this area of yours, with absolutely no vertical supports over the horizontal beams and joists, therefore lots of sagging that I didn't take into account when storing camping gear and Christmas decorations). Hanging sheetrock isn't fun, but hanging it on the ceiling, solo, royally sucks.

Old NFO said...

I REFUSE to do plumbing, just about anything else I can get done, not quickly, but done... And new tools are always nice!!!

Six said...

It's the whole "Well, I am retired now so I guess I'll just go ahead and stick my hand into that jar of angry killer bees" thing. Really, I'm just not very bright and way too cheap.