'The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because He loves what is behind him.' -G. K. Chesterton

19 November 2012

Quilts By Lu. Expressions Of Love

Anyone who spends time with me eventually gets an ear full of my praise for Lu's quilting skills. This is a woman who makes amazing quits. She's even gotten blue ribbons at the county fair and in her opinion she's grown as a quilter by leaps and bounds since then. To say I'm proud of her skills is a massive understatement. She even made one for a local wounded warrior many years ago. I'm not a braggart by nature though I do make an exception for her.

The very best part is that she's handed down both the skills and interest to her daughter (The DO) and her granddaughter (Babygirl). The DO is already a very talented quilter in her own right and Babygirl gets that look in her eyes whenever they sew together. You should hear them when they gather to discuss techniques and fabric.

So, what does her work look like? I'm posting some here but as you peruse keep in mind this is only a very small sampling of her works. Just what was immediately handy. She's done many for others including baby quilts for many of the family's newborns. And bear in mind that these are pieced together quilts, made by hand from cut out pieces and sewn together by a woman who gives attention to detail an entirely new definition. Hundreds of small cuts and seams. Over and over again. I lack the knowledge to sufficiently explain it all but for those who do this work no explanation is necessary. For the rest of us the beauty speaks for itself.

Lu does no small wall hangers. Her creations are meant to be used as what they are.

The details you have to look close to see but that are so important to her.

Patterns and colors. The palette of the quilter.

Quilters are adapters, their skills showing up in other places. Like the curtain rod that doubles as a place to hang in process quilts for perusal and work.

Small pieces that make up the whole. 

Sewn together with sure fingers and a nimble mind.

Tying versus quilting. Lu does both and understands the differences. I do not but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the time, skill and love that goes into each.

My favorite is still being made but with her permission I'll give you a small taste. My military quilt, detailing my service.

Completely hand done mind you. Nothing beyond a sewing machine plus her vision, love and skill. She wants it to be perfect and is determined it will be so. She's using all her considerable abilities on this one including hand stitching. She made the crossed cannons from a pattern she spent months getting exactly the way she wanted it. Tracing and re-tracing. Stitching and re-stitching. She's put it together and taken it apart more than once simply because it's for me and it has to be exactly according to her vision. It's beautiful but not just because of how it looks. It's because the person making it for me is beautiful.

Every time I see one of her quilts I can see the love writ large across it's surface. In every stitch, every seam, every pattern. Lu doesn't just quilt, she creates reflections of her heart. Expressions of who she is and how she views the world and all those she loves. An angelic soul. She can so easily bring me to tears of joy and happiness.

I am simply the luckiest man alive.

Six

18 comments:

Tango said...

So.... does she sell any for profit?

Keads said...

Very handsome work Six!

Six said...

I asked her about that once Tango. She said that if she did it for money it'd be work instead of fun. It's too bad too because she's had offers.

Thanks Kelly. I'll pass that along to Lu.

Murphy's Law said...

Very nice, indeed.

Old NFO said...

Those are beautiful! My mother and other family women used to do a quilt every time we had a reunion and I'm lucky to have some of those. One of them is a 'signature' quilt, signed on each panel by a family member then stitched in. And quite a few of them have feed sack backing!

Six said...

Thanks Murphy!

Thank you NFO. I told Lu about your comment and she hopes that some day she might get the chance to view them. She has great respect for the quilters who came before her.

God, Gals, Guns, Grub said...

The gals say WOW... so do I...

Dann in Ohio

Six said...

Lu says to tell the gals thanks Dann!

Tango said...

Ok, so next question. :) What do I have to do or what charity do I have to donate to and in what denomination to obtain one of these quilts?

agirlandhergun said...

You both are quite blessed to have each other.

Gorgeous quilts!!!

Six said...

I talked it over with Lu Tango. Next time there's a fundraiser for a wounded warrior or cancer charity she'll donate a quilt to the pot. Customized for the winner.

Thanks Girl.

Old NFO said...

Six, right now all those quilts are in storage, as I'm NOT about to try to travel with em... Next time I'm down that way I'll try to get some pics.

Six said...

I don't blame you a bit. Stuff like that is so fragile and literally priceless. If you do Lu would be eternally grateful for a peek.

Sarge said...

You see why I tell everyone I'm a lucky old man. I've got one of those quilts on my bed right now. The Six is always there with a helping hand whenever I need it. We live in compound Heaven.

instinct said...

My wife and my mom are both quilters. It is amazing how much work goes into one quilt.

I have one on our bed that my mom made almost 20 years ago but it will soon be retired and replaced by one my wife is making.

Six said...

We do indeed Sarge. Glad to be living next door to two of my favorite people.

They're amazing aren't they Instinct?

LauraB said...

WOW. Having done lots of handwork, I understand completely the desire to not turn a pleasure into a profit.

Such beautiful work...it is not my skill but I respect it very much, indeed. So much effort, so much artistic license...lovely!

Six said...

Lu says thank you Laura!