'The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because He loves what is behind him.' -G. K. Chesterton

23 December 2010

More Kanani On PTSD

Kanani has an interesting post up here about alternative treatment for PTSD. I love her for pulling no punches where the health and well being of our soldiers is concerned. Kanani has an MD Warrior husband and has herself been intimately involved in the healthcare system for a very long time.

I'm an Army veteran but not a combat vet. However I am also a 24 year veteran police officer who has seen and done...much. As such I have more than a passing familiarity with the effects of stress and Traumatic Events. Medication is often at least an answer but stress relief takes many forms. To discount and discard ANY strikes me as being short sighted and driven by motivations divorced from the needs of the individual. Giving our stricken warriors every tool that could conceivably help them isn't just a good idea it's a moral imperative.

Keep up the good work Kanani. Sooner or later (and let's hope it's sooner) you and the others fighting this battle will win.

Six

4 comments:

Sarge said...

Some Vets are unwilling to claim for PTSD because there is the possibility that the VA will ask a court to revoke any ccw permits and make the individual unable to own fire arms. I have been diagnosed by a Phyic (civilian). That I do have PTSD as a two tour Vietnam Vet I've earn my nightmares and I've earned the right to keep and bare arms. So any government programs for PTSD can kiss my ass. I go to group once a week and we talk about our problems but I will not give up ma guns. Sorry nope just ain't gonna happen.

Kanani said...

Thanks for posting the link. I think as time passes, more private entities will be offering help, and hopefully affordable programs. It's going to take a combination of services that are easily available to veterans, contractors and those in law enforcement to help ease their PTSD.

Home on the Range said...

They're not adding a course segment on recognizing this to the folks training in my field. You're right, you see things people aren't meant to see, and it does take its toll.

Bless those that listen, care and help.

Six said...

Love you Pop and we're all proud of you.

Kanani. You're welcome and a big thanks for keeping this issue on the front page. The stigma they live with is hard enough for those damaged by their sacrifices, the treatment should be as easy, effective and cost free as we can provide.

I'd add you into that as well Brigid. I can only imagine the things you've had to see, investigate and deal with. One of the toughest things I ever had to do was to investigate and document the final hours of one of our officers who committed suicide. A man I convinced to enter the field in the first place. I know you have face similar horrors virtually every day and I want you to know how much I respect you and admire you. A warrior in every sense of the word.