'The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because He loves what is behind him.' -G. K. Chesterton

31 May 2012

Back In Black Or Name That Corvette

The other day brother Keads put up this post about his classic Mustang. I was so inspired that I am shamelessly following his lead and ripping him off. I finally have all the necessary things done to get the Vette back on the road again. Lu and I went out to our local Utah DMV today and got the title transferred and the registration done. As of today it is legal and back on the road.

Here's a little video in homage to Keads. No, it is not a classic Mustang. It's just a box stock 80 Corvette, one of many hundreds of thousands that were made but she's sweet, gorgeous (if I do say so myself) and all mine. I have many hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars into her resurrection and, in spite of myself, I do love the old girl.


And a picture of the dash. Please ignore the ashtray and broken heater control. I have replacement pieces. Just lazy. That steering wheel is Lu's work. The stock wheel was in pretty bad shape so I bought a cover for it. Temporary. But Lu decided it needed to be a bit more secure so she sewed it on. I ended up liking it so much I decided to keep it as is. Is there anything that woman cannot do?

This is definitely a work in process and I can't decide whether or not to keep it. One day it's yes and the next it's gotta go. My mood on it is usually directly proportional to how much it's going to cost me or how much work I'm going to have to do to replace or repair the next item on the list. Still.

After getting the new plates installed Lu and I took her out for a nice drive. Tops off and windows down. She's a coupe, not a roadster but when she's all skinned out she does a pretty good imitation. Wind in my hair and all that. If I had any hair.

For the last 35 years I have wanted to drive my Corvette through the Virgin River Gorge section of I15. Until a few years ago I couldn't afford a Corvette. Today I made that dream a reality. I didn't have my camera with me so no pictures but I did find this video of the drive. This is Northbound. We took it Southbound today and returned on Hwy 91 over Utah Hill, the old route to Vegas before they finished the Gorge.


It's a good video. You may have caught a reference to Littlefield at the very beginning. It's where we used to go to drink adult beverages somewhat before we were exactly of legal age. See, at that time the drinking age in Arizona was 19 and since some of the group had older brothers nature just followed it's course. As it were.

The Gorge is a wonderful piece of twisty tarmac. It's a joy on a motorcycle. We used it to hone our youthful manly (well, boyly anyway) driving skills. There was a standing contest for the best time through the Gorge. For the life of me I can't remember the times but I do know that I scared myself more than once and I was far from the fastest, 1969 Chevelle SS 396 notwithstanding.

It was a great drive and a wonderful day. Just what the doctor ordered. Now, as of this moment, I'm inclined to keep the car. We're going to start taking day trips around the area in it. Nothing too far, just short hops with a nice lunch thrown in as a reward for driving around in a black on black car with no AC on hundred degree Summer days.

If I do keep her she needs a name. The black on black color scheme suggests at least one possibility.


One of my favorite songs but then I still have just a little of that kid who drove a big block Chevelle at warp speeds and occasionally imbibed in intoxicating beverages left in me. Anyway, name. Back In Black won't work. Too long. BIB has the unfortunate connotation of a man too old to keep his meal off his chest. So not going there. Black Beauty has been done. I'm stuck. Help me out here, I'm begging. If someone doesn't come up with something better she'll end being called something stupid like Bertha or Camille. Yes, I have absolutely no imagination.

Don't let my car end up as a Bertha. Send in your suggestion today. Operators standing by. There may be fabulous prizes (there won't). Don't let the stupid man choose. The very Car World is depending on you.

Six


23 comments:

innominatus said...

Hmmm. I've never given any of my cars nicknames. (At least, none that I can speak among polite company). Not even my '69 Camaro. So I'm kinda lacking in suggestions...

Six said...

Philistine!

Oh wait, neither have I. Hmmm.

It's for the children.

Yeah, that's the ticket. I'm going with that one.

Borepatch said...

Sweet.

And what about Rachel or Desiree, shortened to "Rae"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b-68Mz1aWE

Six said...

Dude. That is awesome covered awesome with an awesome center.

Ok, it's official. BP is now in the lead.

Keads said...

Nice Ride bro! Does not matter if it is "brand X" or not =)!

You might try Hagerty insurance on you classic car. Hell a cheaper than the standard route.

Lu is talented! I have to get my rim-blow (insert joke here) steering wheel restored again after 20+ years.

It is a love/hate relationship as you note, but man, when everything is working the feel and passion is a thing of beauty. They are time machines. My '71 is more than that.

Anybody with a decent credit score can go get a new one, keeping the old ladies running is a skill and more than that a passion.

A name? You asking me? I have not an artistic bone in my body. All of the old girls here get called just that. The '71, '66, 64.5 and the 94 Mustangs get called that, usually when I say "old girl just get me home and I will take care of whatever you need".

Great post, and I am glad to see her!

Blue said...

Excellent!

I sometimes wish that I had kept a couple of old cars that I had over the years. 2 55 Chevys a 56 Chevy half ton step side, and a 73 Mach 1. Probably a good thing I didn't keep them. Maybe. :)

KurtP said...

Freedom Machine?

http://youtu.be/ATE_zLZDi4s

KurtP said...

`Ment to ad- that the '65 C-10 pick-up that was an almost cab-off restoration (thanks Navy Auto shop) that I rebuilt back in `85 was named

Proud Mary - http://youtu.be/Go-QZE8UE10

Six said...

"Anybody with a decent credit score can go get a new one, keeping the old ladies running is a skill and more than that a passion."

Brother, you said as mouth full!

Six said...

I hear ya Blue. I go back and forth, sometimes within hours. Sell. Keep. I'm just gonna give the thing to Lu and let her decide.

Six said...

Ok, we have another contendah from KurtP.
Great videos Kurt. LOVED the pink poodle!!

Sarge said...

Oh man that brought back some memories. I spent many a long shift patrolling that Gorge. Looking for young miscreants who'd been soaking up a few suds down at the Beaver Damn. Never nabbed the Six though. Well came close one time but then that was a long time ago; we won't go there; at this time anyway. I need to have some kind of hammer over the Six. Hey Six what about the Virgin or (Virgin River) I can think of several other ties. I'll just name the one however Virgin River Gorge. Just a suggestion of course.

Six said...

Oh man, it hurts to have a father in law who knows all your secrets.

And we have another contender.

Coop said...

Six - Black Betty...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMLnDuzgkjo

Six said...

Ooooh. I LOVE that song.

That's a great suggestion. Coop may be in the lead.

Coop said...

Nice ride, I hope you enjoy it for years to come.

My wife is a Corvette Freak... courtesy of her father, he now owns 5 (61,65,72,86,04).

Home on the Range said...

I have had Fenry Honda (a little college car) and I named my Piper Cub Otis after the drunk on Mayberry. He flew a bit wobbley, having been damaged in a storm before I bought him, but I had him mostly sober and upright after some dope and fabric work and a spar repair by our local IA.

instinct said...

I'd probably go with Midnight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7A2acBVENA

Sarge said...

I had a old ford pick up that I called o'l blue. I had another that I called the red dent because a darn tree had the tenacity to get in my way while hunting deer. Just pure damn laziness on my part. Crunched in the whole right side.

Six said...

Holy cow Coop. And I thought I was a Vette fan. I think I like your father in law!

See, it's natural to name the things we love. Those are great names Brigid.

I like that Instinct. It's definitely in the running.

I think I ended up with that red truck Sarge. 1959 Ford F100 as I recall. Great old truck.

Six said...

Holy cow Coop. And I thought I was a Vette fan. I think I like your father in law!

See, it's natural to name the things we love. Those are great names Brigid.

I like that Instinct. It's definitely in the running.

I think I ended up with that red truck Sarge. 1959 Ford F100 as I recall. Great old truck.

instinct said...

Uh, I was just thinking (I do that sometimes)
"Don't let my car end up as a Bertha. Send in your suggestion today. Operators standing by. There may be fabulous prizes (there won't). Don't let the stupid man choose. The very Car World is depending on you."

Since you're picking from the names we suggest, isn't the stupid man still choosing???

Six said...

You know, I never thought about it that way Instinct but you are absolutely right. But we're cool because Lu was the driving force behind the name selection. Back up, it comes in all sizes and covers a wide variety of needs!