'The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because He loves what is behind him.' -G. K. Chesterton

09 March 2012

Need Some Advice

I've made no secret that I admire combat fighter pilots and am in awe of their skills and bravery. A few years ago, at the Salinas, California Air how I bought this picture. It's called "Flying The Jolly Roger" and it's by Robert Watts.


This is part of the artist's description;

A pair of navy F-4 Phantoms of VF84 prepare to recover aboard the carrier U.S.S. Independence....Seen against a beautiful Yankee Station sundown, an element of F-4s decelerate in preparation for deck landing following a combat mission in 1965. 

The print, #508/1000 is signed by three aces; Commander Randall 'Duke' Cunningham, MG Marion Carl and Colonel Manfred Rietsch. And therein lies the problem.MG Carl and Colonel Rietsch shouldn't have to endure being associated with Cunningham in any way, shape or form.

Cunningham is scum of the first order. I included a link to a Wikipedia page on him and while they're not exactly the finest purveyors of the truth I think they got this one pretty close. I followed the story when it was ongoing and took down this picture from my den wall and put it in a closet where it has remained. There is absolutely no way I'm going to display something signed by him. I briefly considered burning it and sending him a photo to his prison cell but decided to wait. After his sentencing in 2006 I looked at the picture again and knew for certain that I'd never again display it. I toyed with selling it but never got any further than that.

It is an absolutely beautiful work and the artist is talented. He's hardly to blame for what Cunningham did. Yet my quandary remains. What to do with it? I am not keeping it, that is settled, so I'm turning to you and asking for input. What would you do with it? I want everyone's thoughts but I'm especially interested in veterans who would care to chime in. Have a favorite military or veteran charity who would take it, perhaps to auction it off and use the proceeds to do some good for our vets and current service? Should I use it as a manifestation of my disgust with corruption and burn it publicly? Anyone just want the damn thing?

Maybe I'm overreacting? I don't think so but I'm willing to take all opinions to heart. I love the work, I really do but it has to go. I can't abide the thought of having anything that man even touched in my house any longer. If I don't figure something out I'm just going to take it out to the secret test range and see how many rounds of 12 gauge it takes to obliterate it.

What do you think?

Six

11 comments:

Keads said...

I am not a vet. It is a great painting and I feel you on this one.

I would think that you could get the mat that was signed removed from the painting and remat it. Barring that you could simply remove the autograph from the mat.

Let me introduce you to http://texassquirrel.blogspot.com

Whoops! You are already there. Supi can help I am sure. She has a passion for military art as well as historical paintings.

I would keep the painting. The guy is scum, but that should not take away from the artist.

Six said...

Thanks Keads. Asking an artist for an opinion totally slipped my thought processes. I'll drop her a line. Thanks!

Sarge said...

Six do you still have Gen.Cash's information he might have an interest??? If you don't I have his email.
I also have a Vietnam friend pilot Ret. Captain Navy Ron Lewis he might have a use for it. Let me know ????

God, Gals, Guns, Grub said...

I might go with Keads suggestion...

I'd hate for the dishonor done by one man to take away from the honor due the other two men...

The print could be trimmed down as Keads mentioned...

You could even cut out the three signatures... burn the one... and have the other two mounted in smaller cutouts in a mat around the trimmed print...

I'm not a veteran... but I'd hate for that idiot to be the cause of not recognizing the other two patriots for their service.

Wish you the best in your decision... it is a beautiful rendering...

Dann in Ohio

Anonymous said...

Marion Carl actually died here in Roseburg Oregon some years back.

Six said...

If you want to contact either of them and they want it Sarge, they're welcome to it. I'll hold off until we talk.

Thanks Dann. I appreciate you guys weighing in on this and I value your advice.

My respects to the honorable General Carl anon.

Ed Rasimus said...

OK, let me chime in with two cents worth. I'm at least as disgusted by Cunningham's behavior as you, since it discredits all of us when one of our tribe does badly.

BUT....

That is a beautiful piece of artwork. The names inscribed are historic and add value to the piece. Cunningham does hold a distinction of being the first ace of the Vietnam war regardless of his eventual misconduct. That makes the signature even more of a noteworthy addition to the picture. It's like having a picture of a Kansas bank autographed by Dillinger.

I would keep the picture, display it proudly and tell the related story whenever anyone asks.

Not all aces were heroic and not all heroes were aces. But history doesn't distinguish morality of the players.

instinct said...

Don't modify or trim the work in any way. If you decide to go with a re-matting you can have a mat cut to cover fer the signature area and have a window cut for the two signatures you want to keep and leave his out (possibly).

Any cutting that you do on the work will essentially ruin it. My wife mount artwork all the time so she could give you better info than I can about it www.jamilynberhard.com.

As for getting rid of it, if you decide to sell it, I would put it on ebay and then give some of the money to Soldier Angels.

My two cents

nzgarry said...

Six,
Take Ed's advice. Cunningham still fought for his country and his later actions are out of context re the artwork.

Six said...

Thanks Ed and Instinct and everyone who commented. You guys got my head on straight and I've decided what to do. I hope you all agree with my decision.

Six said...

Thanks Garry. You are absolutely right and I am going to take your advice. Much appreciated.