'The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because He loves what is behind him.' -G. K. Chesterton

05 March 2012

Hey Dad, What's This Thing? A Puppy's Tale

I heard Lu chuckling as she came into the living room. "There's a pigeon on the roof of the outbuilding and Angus is going crazy". By the time I got to a window the bird was gone but Angus rushed into the room to breathlessly let me know what had just happened. I patted him on the head and gave him a Good Boy.

A few minutes later I heard the ruckus begin again. Sure enough Mister Pigeon was back. He was just sitting on the edge of the roof, watching Angus with a haughty look on his face. I watched for a minute and decided that Angus needed a little back up.

This is Angus being subtle. "Look, look! See? I told you. There he is right there! What is that thing?"

"It's a bird my son," I told him.

"A bird huh? Let me think on this for just a bit. Hmmm. What do I do now?"

"I know. I'll wag my tail and invite him down to play. Hooray, I'm a genius!"

"No huh? Now what?"

"OK fine. I'll go back to barking and running around like a crazy dog. Maybe that'll work."

But no matter how hard he tried, for some reason Mister Pigeon never came down. He just sat there and sat there and taunted poor Angus.

Until Daddy got his BB gun. And let that be a lesson to all you Pigeons out there. Don't taunt the bird dog and the guy who owns the bird dog. And a gun.

Of course Daddy missed but it's the thought that counts.

Damn flying rats.

Six

8 comments:

innominatus said...

Similar things happen at my place - except it's squirrels doing the taunting.

And I feel ya on the BB gun. I have a nice Walther pellet gun that I sometimes play with indoors (when wifey-pooh isn't home). It groups nice and tight - about the size of my pinky fingernail, from across the house. But d*mn if I can hit the #$%^&*((*&^ woodpecker that bangs on my roof when I'm trying to sleep in.

Six said...

I was hesitant to admit I missed Inno. It was frankly embarrassing but I take heart in the idea that I'm quite certain I scared him badly and so there's no way he's off in some pigeon bar laughing about the dumbass with the Red Ryder who couldn't hit the broadside of a barn.

Sarge said...

If you can see the porch on the other side of the fence that's my house. I feed the birds in the back yard and one of them must have rested on the Six's roof. I can't see it clearly but I'd guess that it's a ring neck dove. We have a over abundance of them here and they are not native in fact they are taking over the native population of morning doves. I'd call the game and fish and report the poacher but the fish cops would probably give him a medal for shooting the damn thing. No season no license required good training for Angus.

God, Gals, Guns, Grub said...

Our mutt, Sasha, seems to have a lot of lab in her and loves the hassle the birds...

Six... I'd check your vehicle... you may have missed that bird, but he may have dropped one on your windshield as a counter-strike...

Dann in Ohio

Kanani said...

Great punch line! Love it!

Kanani said...

Great punch line! Love it!

Kanani said...

Great punch line! Love it!

Six said...

It's all your fault Sarge (just kidding):)

Death From Above Dann? Yeah, I better keep my eyes peeled.

Coming from one of my favorite wordsmiths..Thank You Very Much Kanani!