'The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because He loves what is behind him.' -G. K. Chesterton

30 October 2010

Me

Written by LCDR Roberto J. Prinselaar
From the Book "Tears of Ink"

"Me"

For years and years I really did
Keep all my bad thoughts safely hid

Those bad-assed memories tucked away
If someone asked, I wouldn't say

A real tough bastard, that was me
No one could touch me, can't you see

The past was past and buried deep
And only sometimes I couldn't sleep

The first years were hard, a real bitch
Like I was doing another hitch

I drank alot and went through hell
My fucked up life wasn't doing well

All this went on ten years or so
I wasn't dead, so more to go

I saw a doctor once, a shrink
A real know nothing civvie dink

I felt forgotten and alone
There just was no one in my zone

That's when I built my private wall
I shut my mind, and fuck'em all

I could face the world with no fear
I kept a pistol always near

Now that was one thing I could trust
Some fire power a real must

I really straightened up my life
With lots of help from my dear wife

I told her nothing, to be sure
Why take the chance without a cure

And then one day I saw the wall
Upon my life it cast a pall

But another vet said "Welcome Back"
My solid wall began to crack

It was then, I dared to cry
My prior years were just a lie

I had to face my times in hell
Another vet, someone to tell

I'm going to climb this goddamn hill
It may be steep and I may fall
But in the end, I'll tell it all

LCDR Roberto J. Prinselaar

Submitted by Sarge

5 comments:

Kanani said...

That's a really great poem.

Six said...

Good stuff Sarge. I hope you're passing along our appreciation to the Commander.

Borepatch said...

Don't know if you've read "The Shadow of the Sword" by Jeremiah Workman. Recommended, but not an easy book.

Six said...

I just ordered it through your Amazon link BP. Thanks for the recommendation.

Sarge said...

Thanks Kanani, I know the Commander reads this blog and will get your kind words. I will be talking to him via email and make sure he gets all your complements, and kind words.

Six,thanks and I'll be posting another next week. The one I posted called "combat" was recommended by the Commander.

Thanks Borepatch for the link. When I get in a place I can handle it I'll read it. Thanks for the warning about the book I don't like it when these things sneak up on me. If it's healing, I'll be looking forward to the "not so easy read". I'll bet a nickel; and I don't have two cents, that the Six will let me read his copy also.