'The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because He loves what is behind him.' -G. K. Chesterton

10 June 2011

Garage Build

The delivery guy dropped off a package on Tuesday afternoon. It was 9 large boxes and 1 small one on a triple long pallet.


Here's the boxes, unloaded and partially opened. That's a lotta parts!

First step is to do some assembly, lay down the foundation and put up the corners, main pillars and support beams. It's important brace the walls as at this point it can be blown down by a strong wind.

Slot A goes into Tab B and then attach the doohickey with alternating thingies. Got it. Wait...what?? I'm a guy. I hate instructions.

The 2 main trusses. They had to be assembled piece by piece by piece. There were a lot of parts.

This is where we left off yesterday. Most of the main supports are in and the trusses and roof beams are assembled and ready to install. That's what we'll be working on today along with putting on the exterior sides. We're still several days away from a completed garage.

More tomorrow.

Six

5 comments:

innominatus said...

Hopefully it's like an old Rochester QuadraJet: you can leave out about half the screws and everything still seems to work.

Six said...

I do too Inno because there's going to be a pile of bolts and screws leftover when we get done. It reminds me of an erector set. Maybe I can make it into a robot or something!

LauraB said...

Just be glad you don't have an engineer wife demanding a torque wrench be used to ensure every nut is cranked to just the right foot pound as a friend has...

Be gladm too, that *I* am not there - I am a manual follower. And, yes, a nut and bolt sorter before starting any step. Makes Trooper fracking NUTS. Hee hee!

It is going to be the most awesome dang thing when done!!

Six said...

You called it a long time ago Laura. You recommended that I do the garage first so I'd have work space for the re-model.
See? I can follow directions! Tell Trooper Six says you were right. Heck, we could have used you. The parts list is 48 pages long.

instinct said...

My wife is the same way Laura. Even if I look at something and say "Oh, this is easy, I know exactly how it should go." She will demand that everything be laid out in order by size and type so that she knows exactly what we have.

Sometimes it almost makes me NOT want to go to Ikea, but the meatballs.. they call me....