'The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because He loves what is behind him.' -G. K. Chesterton

17 March 2013

Sunday Kipling

Getting old sucks. Not that I'm getting more forgetful or anything. Just saying, that's all.
Six


Gallio's Song

"And Gallio cared for none of these things." 
Acts xviii. "Little Foxes" 
Actions and Reactions.


All day long to the judgment-seat
The crazed Provincials drew--
All day long at their ruler's feet
Howled for the blood of the Jew.
Insurrection with one accord
Banded itself and woke,
And Paul was about to open his mouth
When Achaia's Deputy spoke--

"Whether the God descend from above
Or the Man ascend upon high,
Whether this maker of tents be Jove
Or a younger deity--
I will be no judge between your gods
And your godless bickerings.
Lictor, drive them hence with rods--
I care for none of these things!

Were it a question of lawful due
Or Caesar's rule denied,
Reason would I should bear with you
And order it well to be tried;
But this is a question of words and names,
I know the strife it brings.
I will not pass upon any your claims.
I care for none of these things.

One thing only I see most clear,
As I pray you also see.
Claudius Caesar hath set me here
Rome's Deputy to be.
It is Her peace that ye go to break--
Not mine, nor any king's.
But, touching your clamour of 'Conscience sake,'
I care for none of these things.

Whether ye rise for the sake of a creed,
Or riot in hope of spoil,
Equally will I punish the deed,
Equally check the broil;
Nowise permitting injustice at all
From whatever doctrine it springs--
But--whether ye follow Priapus or Paul,
I care for none of these things!"

4 comments:

God, Gals, Guns, Grub said...

Getting old does suck and as far as forgetfulness... just the other day I was talking to my gal about... now what were we talkin'bout... beats me...

Dann in Ohio

Six said...

Heh heh. Man, do I know that feeling Dann. Hey, aging ain't for sissies!

agirlandhergun said...

I know you are going to say I am not old, but for the first time ever I feel "old." I went for a yearly exam and was sent to 2 different doctors for, as my doctor put it, "health" concerns. I am the healthiest person I know. How is the possible??

It's odd and not in a good way.

Six said...

Lu and I are praying for a good doctor visit AGirl. It really sucks. Sometimes, no matter what you do or have done something bad just stalks up behind and bops you over the head.

We're keeping a good thought.