'The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because He loves what is behind him.' -G. K. Chesterton

17 July 2011

Sunday Kipling

It's Sunday, a day for steak on the grill and time with those you love best. May this day find you healthy and happy. And avoid Bill "Awkins!
Six

Bill 'Awkins

"'As anybody seen Bill 'Awkins?"
"Now 'ow in the devil would I know?"
"'E's taken my girl out walkin',
An' I've got to tell 'im so --
Gawd -- bless -- 'im!
I've got to tell 'im so."

"D'yer know what 'e's like, Bill 'Awkins?"
"Now what in the devil would I care?"
"'E's the livin', breathin' image of an organ-grinder's monkey,
With a pound of grease in 'is 'air --
Gawd -- bless -- 'im!
An' a pound o' grease in 'is 'air."

"An' s'pose you met Bill 'Awkins,
Now what in the devil 'ud ye do?"
"I'd open 'is cheek to 'is chin-strap buckle,
An' bung up 'is both eyes, too --
Gawd -- bless -- 'im!
An bung up 'is both eyes, too!"

"Look 'ere, where 'e comes, Bill 'Awkins!
Now, what in the devil will you say?"
"It isn't fit an' proper to be fightin' on a Sunday,
So I'll pass 'im the time o' day --
Gawd -- bless -- 'im!
I'll pass 'im the time o' day!"

3 comments:

The DO said...

Well, this has nothing to do with Bill 'Awkins, but I wanted to let you know we were there today, on the beaches and at the cemetery. I'll have to tell you all about it.

Six said...

That is so cool. I can't wait to hear about it. Wish I was there with you.

Joan of Argghh! said...

Kipling was a true Southerner, apparently. You can say anything about anyone as long as you qualify it with, "bless 'is heart."

Ha!