'The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because He loves what is behind him.' -G. K. Chesterton

12 June 2010

Fight Cancer

Like many of you, my life and Lu's have been touched by cancer. Lu lost her beloved grandfather many years ago to the ravages of this horrible disease and we have donated regularly to the fight. This year we're starting something different.

The Lance Armstrong Foundation is one of the premier groups out there raising money to find a cure. They sponsor a variety of fund raising activities, one of which is a bicycle ride hosted in various cities called the Livestrong Challenge. If you click on the link you can see all the cities where the rides are taking place. One of the is in San Jose, California, a city just an hour north of us.

I love all things two wheeled. Two years ago Lu and I got back into bicycling in a big way. We love it. The longest I have ever ridden is 25 miles last November but I've been looking to up that. I'm going to go an order of magnitude bigger.

The challenge allows rides of 10, 20, 50, 65 and 100 miles. I consider myself a Warrior and Warriors do not shrink from a challenge. So....

I've signed up for the ride and selected the 100 miles. I've always wanted to do a Century and this seems like the perfect opportunity to both accomplish that goal and do something worthy at the same time. I'm also asking for donations and I refuse to go halfway when asking others to give of their hard earned cash.

I'm asking for your help. I've started a fundraising page at Livestrong here. My goal is to raise $500.00. Lu and I started us out with a $50.00 donation and I'm sure we'll give more as the time nears. If you can spare a couple of bucks and are interested in joining the fight against this indiscriminate killer please take a minute and drop us a donation. Anything will be appreciated.

You can read more about the San Jose ride here.

You can follow my fundraising here and donate here.

A tip of the hat and great respect to The FatCyclist. He's a man who lost his wife toCheck Spelling cancer last year after a long and painful fight. He's one of the driving forces behind this fundraising effort and is my role model.

I will document both my training and the ride itself with pictures (no matter how unflattering). My pledge to you is that I will not fail. I will ride the full 100 miles.

Thank you in advance.

Now, on to the training. Stay tuned, this may get ugly.

Six

No comments: