'The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because He loves what is behind him.' -G. K. Chesterton

18 December 2011

Sunday Kipling For Our Special Girl

This is a special Kipling dedicated to a special lady. Our Chrisi girl is 15 years old today. Chrisi came home almost a year to the day after we got Trooper. Her full name is Lu's Chrisimas Surprise because of her birthdate and because I took a chance and bought her from our breeder without Lu knowing. She was always The Princess. She loved to run and retrieve and play with her big brother. She's been a near perfect companion for Lu, accompanying her on long trips and protecting her from unseen dangers. Now she's a big sister, passing on her patience and good manners to her little brother (who adores her). She no longer runs and frolics but she still goes for walks and rides. With still bright eyes and a wagging tail she'll always be our Princess. 15 years go by so fast. It seems like a lot but we're hoping for still more time with her. Greedy I know but she's our Chrisi girl. She's old and grey now but every once in a while, usually when it's least expected, the puppy in her will come out for just a bit and we smile and reminisce and appreciate her all the more

We love you Chrisi. Thank you for your companionship, your protection and your love. No one ever had a better dog. Happy birthday Sweetheart.


Here's a Kipling just for Chrisi. I hope I can be forgiven if I've changed it just a bit. :)

The Cat That Walked by Himself
Kitty can sit by the fire and sing,
Kitty can climb a tree,
Or play with a silly old cork and string
To 'muse herself, not me.
But I like Chrisi my dog, because
She knows how to behave;
So, Chrisi's the same as the First Friend was,
And I am the Man in the Cave!

Kitty will play Man-Friday till
It's time to wet her paw
And make her walk on the window-sill
(For the footprint Crusoe saw);
Then she fluffles her tail and mews,
And scratches and won't attend.
But Chrisi will play whatever I choose,
And she is my true First Friend!

Kitty will rub my knees with her head
Pretending she loves me hard;
But the very minute I go to my bed
Kitty runs out in the yard,
And there she stays till the morning-light;
So I know it is only pretend;
But Chrisi, she snores at my feet all night,
And she is my Firstest Friend!

6 comments:

God, Gals, Guns, Grub said...

Happy birthday Chrisi... I believe the good Lord gave us dogs so that we might glimpse the true meaning of unconditional love and loyalty...

Dann in Ohio

Six said...

Thanks Dann. I agree wholeheartedly.

NavyOne said...

Yay Kipling!

Question: Do you know Kipling?
Answer: I don't know, I have never Kipled.

Six said...

I like that NavyOne.

LauraB said...

Aw, Dann! Good one...and true.

Very nicely done, Six. I cannot imagine a day without Ranger. I sometimes wish for days without that hellion Kota, though. LOL Okay, maybe just a few hours.

I happen to know where you can get a dog...I mean...while Chrisi's in the training mood.

Six said...

If it weren't for Angus i'd be sorely tempted Laura but one puppy is running me ragged!