'The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because He loves what is behind him.' -G. K. Chesterton

31 January 2013

Ed Rasimus - RIP

I just learned that Ed Rasimus passed away yesterday. The world is a little darker today. A little sadder. A little less wise. Another Warrior we can scarce spare has slipped the surly bonds.

No more razor sharp political take, his ability to pare away the BS and get down to the roots.

So many books unwritten.

So many stories untold.

So many young minds without the opportunity to be schooled by a master.

No more Saturday Morning Rocker. 

I never met Ed in person but I was fortunate that he discovered my little blog and occasionally stopped by with a pithy comment or thoughtful observation. The first in a long line of Warriors who unstintingly gave from his store of wisdom. He readily gave advice to those who were appreciative of his efforts. He never pulled punches but called things exactly as he saw them. Those comments here are now more precious to me than gold. I read his books and even offered my opinion on what he should write about next. He was a good man, one I fear we will never see the likes of again. I've often said that America was just fine as long as we could continue to produce men and women of the Caliber of Ed Rasimus. I pray we still can though I am afraid. 

Ed is undoubtedly ensconced at the bar in Fighter Pilot Heaven, sharing a drink with old comrades and telling stories. He has his Warrior body back, hale and strong, complete to bullet proof mustache. I am gladdened by the thought. But we who remain for a little while are saddened by our loss.

Clear skies and fair winds Ed. You will be sorely missed but never forgotten.

Six
A humble admirer.

7 comments:

OldAFSarge said...

I only discovered Ed's blog very recently. Good stuff. I'm linked to his blog now and will keep that link always. My own version of putting a candle in the window.

The world is a little bit sadder, a little less bright. I hope to share a drink with him someday, up yonder.

Murphy's Law said...

Amen.

Keads said...

Sorry to hear this about a great warrior.

Anonymous said...

Oh, no, Six. I continued to check his blog a couple of times daily since his last, "Santa's fleet," awaiting his wit and wisdom. Since it had been over a month I figured he just wasn't feeling well due to procedures. Was thinking of writing him last night with my best wishes. He will be missed. I'm even more proud that I once flew gun cover for two flights of F-4s. Damn! RIP Ed. sadly, Alemaster

Old NFO said...

Well said, And I hope he's flying it like he stole it... RIP Ras!

Six said...

Thanks for the kind words for a great man everyone. How badly we will need him in the coming days.

JihadGene said...

God bless Ed and may the good Lord give strength and comfort to those who lived life and loved along the side of Ed Rasimus.