'The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because He loves what is behind him.' -G. K. Chesterton

16 April 2013

Car Guy

I've held off on this post a few days because I wanted to wait until we heard some confirmed good news. We now have that news. I am going to hold off naming the city or hospital to help protect their privacy. I hope you understand.

A couple of days ago Car Guy's daughter was involved in a bad accident. In the car was her son and daughter. The van was t-boned at speed by a large vehicle and the results were simply awful. Daughter and grandson were hurt but not critically. His granddaughter on the other hand was very badly injured. I mean badly. About as bad as you can imagine and still be alive. He immediately flew out and has been by her bedside virtually day and night. Well, the power of prayer works and I can now say that little girl is doing much better. To the point that she's off the opiates, the ventilator and many of the usual tubes and drains. She's responding positively to those around her and seems to be on her way to a complete recovery. There will be the normal difficulties and challenges associated with traumatic brain injuries but her doctors are upbeat and positive and all signs are excellent. It's more that we could have hoped for.

I'm not going to go into the intimate details of the crash or her injuries but trust me, I saw the pictures of both and they near broke my heart. Among my jobs at the PD was fatal accident reconstruction. I've seen a lot of horror and too many accidents that resulted in the loss of life. As I viewed those pictures of the crash scene I couldn't help but note the details with an educated and experienced eye. I have no earthly idea why that little girl survived beyond that the Good Lord reached out his hand and spared her.

There is another reason though I'm of the opinion the two are related. Car Guy told me that one of the local hospital's trauma surgeons routinely rides around in his personal car with a radio tuned to the local PD/Fire/EMS frequencies. He just happened to drive through the intersection where the accident occurred and heard the call. He turned around and returned to the scene within minutes. Car Guy says if he hadn't done that, if he hadn't heard or responded to the call, his granddaughter wouldn't have survived her injuries. That doctor literally kept her alive at the scene and for her life flight to the hospital and the ICU. It was that close. Cay Guy couldn't have been happier with the hospital staff. They were professional, caring and extremely competent. The doctors and nurses there are top notch. We are still a country with the best emergency care in the world. We are grateful for their wonderful care of that oh so precious charge.

I'm so happy and grateful to be able to post this with the sure and certain knowledge that with a lot of time, effort and love Car Guy's granddaughter will return to his loving embrace and remain his beloved grandchild. That makes me smile with my entire soul. Car Guy, we've been holding you all in our hearts and prayers my brother. I couldn't be happier for you and the rest of your family. Thank you for sharing with me and allowing me to help in a very small way. We love you my friend and are here for you always.

This post with a huge thank you is dedicated to the blessed men and women of our EMS and hospital services. On this day, after we have witnessed the herculean efforts by those same folks in Boston, it seems like a good time to remember them. And to say We Love You All.

Especially one trauma surgeon who will forever be in my prayers and will have my eternal gratitude. May God bless you my unknown friend. You saved the life of the grandchild of a man closer to me than my own brothers and I will never forget.

If you have a minute and are so inclined a quick prayer for a very special little girl in the hospital would be wonderful and very much appreciated.

Thank you my friends.

Six

10 comments:

OldAFSarge said...

Prayers are on the way Six.

Bag Blog said...

Praise God. He does answer prayers.

Monkeywrangler said...

Prayer sent for the family, Six. God has been busy lately with some amazing medical miracles, that I have been blessed enough to be somewhat distantly involved with. May He continue to bless His faithful.

Vic303

Rev. Paul said...

God does indeed answer prayers, sometimes before they're sent. That trauma surgeon's presence near the scene is one such answer.

Prayers sent, sir.

instinct said...

Ditto. Prayers from the Instinct clan, so glad she will be OK

Old NFO said...

Thoughts and prayers for all concerned...

The DO said...

I'm beyond relieved that she is pulling through. She's a tough kid, from a strong family, I know she will be the vibrant kid she used to be!

Six said...

Thank you all on behalf of Car Guy and his family. I talked to him just a short time ago. She had a bad night but is still on the recovery road. Small steps and there are very difficult hurdles she must get past but optimism remains high.

RabidAlien said...

No idea this was going on, but will definitely pray for a quick and full recovery! Remember, God doesn't allow challenges to come our way that we can't handle...this doesn't mean that we'll always pass with flying colors, or that we'll be able to handle them on our own. But there's always a plan, always a purpose! Glad to hear the awesome news thus far!

Six said...

Thank you my friend.